You can know if you or someone you know is blinded by themselves or the world by their heart felt view of the movie 50 Shades of Gray. It comes down to if they find it acceptable to expose themselves to its contents and stand idle or support others to be exposed to it. But what is inherently wrong and dangerous about the movie?
- “it plays on the secret fantasies of the women who want”
- “mommy porn”
- “the lead character Anastasia Steele who seeks to have an elicit affair”
- ““Fifty Shades of Grey,” has altered the moral standards of the kind of books which can be effectively sold in the main stream public”
- “reveals something about the decline of the moralistic nature of the United States”
- “Apart from the Religious Right’s concern that the book is pornographic, the study’s authors say there are valid concerns over the book’s subject matter and how it may feed into a normalization of violence against women in a culture where sexualization and objectification permeates a variety of media.”
- “The book is designed to provide a view into a sexual social circle that does in fact exist.”
Sexual fantasies, a type of porn, moral decline, normalization of sexual violence and sexualization, and designed to be a view into a sexual social circle. These descriptions are not mine but others who in most cases do not share in the christian world view but are still able to see and admit what it really is. By their own descriptions it prays on our sinful human nature to lust and adulterous desire in our hearts- which they would call ‘mommy porn’.
To say that this story, book or film, does not corrupt or is not wrong; is to not even know your own heart and spirit. Sin is of the heart that builds in the mind then manifests into actions and deeds. You can be a slave to sin without actually acting on the sin. Men and women can lustfully desire and fantasies themselves with each other but never actually physical touch each other; but its too late; they did already, in their heart.
The purpose of the story is to fantasize, sexually, selfishly, and as one writer put it “designed to provide [you] a view into a [sinful] sexual social circle” And if your mind couldn’t picture it well enough as you read the book, a movie is made to give you the visual stimulation.
To say, as a Christian, there is nothing inherently wrong with this is to admit you don’t know your self or what God wants from us in our hearts. Then how are Christians called to view and act about things like this that lead our minds into sin? That’s simple, lets see what our Lord God has to say:
- Matt 15:19 out of the heart come evil thoughts—murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander.
- Matt 5:28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
- Acts 15:20,29 Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality,…You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things.
- Romans 1:24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another.
- 1 John 2:16 For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world.
- Prov 6:25 Do not lust in your heart after her beauty or let her captivate you with her eyes.
- Col 3:5 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.
- 2 Peter 2:18 For they mouth empty, boastful words and, by appealing to the lustful desires of the flesh, they entice people who are just escaping from those who live in error.
- 1 Thessalonians 4:3 It is God’s will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality
- Eph 5:3 But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people.
- 1 Cor 6:18 Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body.
God can not get any more clear than that. The HEART creates the sin with in us; not our actions. Lusting is the same as actually being sexually physically, according to God. So he says to “put to death” your sexual lusts and “avoid these things”. Its really that simple. But its our sinful hearts that make it seem complicated. Our earthly nature (sinful nature) tries to justify our desire to see and feel these things. Thus, leading us into sin. This is why we do not trust our feelings and desires apart from Scripture. Because when we do, we think things like 50 Shades of Gray is okay and we lead ourselves and others into sexual sin.
It does not matter if you go with friends to see the movie or read the book by your self. Alone or in public, you are putting your mind and heart on something that is sexually immoral. Alone or with others in public or private we do this:
“take captive EVERY thought to make it obedient to Christ. (2 Cor 10:5)” and “
“‘Love the Lord your God with ALL your heart and with all your soul and with ALL your mind.’ (Matt 22:37)” and “think about Him in ALL your ways, and He will guide you on the right paths (Prov 3:6).
And not just on Sunday mornings. But when you are out with friends or alone, be mindful of what you think about and what you say and do. Be mindful about the things your heart is desiring. Make them obedient to Christ, and love the Lord with EVERYTHING at ALL TIMES. This isn’t my opinion but what God himself has told us. So “Christians” can either justify their sins or Followers of Christ can repent and love God with their mind and heart though Jesus Christ.